Candyman review


    Here are my thoughts on Candyman. I have mixed feelings in this movie. I loved the original with Tony Todd and that movie is a great horror movie and it had great social commentary. Having said that this new film is set in the same universe as that film which would have been great if not for some pretty bad acting, and some twists I saw coming which isn’t Necessarily a bad thing but it became very predictable. I loved all the references to the first movie. That was a really nice touch. I loved some of the camera work and it had some really cool shots. It had some really gory kills that really made it feel like the original. I loved all the mirror angles and how the shots made it look like it was shot through a mirror and how you only see candyman through mirrors. I thought some of the comedy was really hit or miss but it over all got a few laughs out of me.Jordan Peele writing really shows in this movie and the little scenes of comedy throughout. Where the movie really misses with me is the social commentary. I really think the original had a good balance between the slasher horror and the social  commentary. This was really bland and it does show a lot of what happens nowadays but I just think they push too hard with all the social criticisms. I really didn’t like this version of candy man he just wasn’t a screen presence like Tony Todd was and he was just creepy and not intimidating.   There are also a lot of plot threads that don’t get resolved or just don’t mean anything to the story which really didn’t make that much sense to me. It’s a very artsy horror movie which really made me just wanting something more like the first movie. I do want to add that there is something that happens at the end I won’t spoiler but I thought it was really awesome and you should really enjoy that. I’m going to give Candyman a 7.5/10. I may end up doing a review of the original Candyman so let me know if that is something you would want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaws review

Halloween Kills review

IT chapters 1 and 2 review